Trumpist Texas megachurch faces exodus of worshippers after a sex abuse scandal set off a summer of turmoil
Add Reply
God Strikes Again!
2024-09-16 04:32:32 UTC
Texas megachurch faces exodus of worshippers after a sex abuse scandal set
off a summer of turmoil

Summer was off to a tumultuous start when allegations of child sexual
abuse surfaced on a blog dedicated to Christian survivor stories. This
time, the man involved had gone on to lead one of America’s largest
megachurches.

Robert Morris, who founded and led Gateway Church for nearly 25 years in
the affluent Dallas-Fort Worth suburb of Southlake, Texas, resigned after
the scandal came to light in June. His exit sent thousands of evangelicals
into a season of struggle that has lasted months.

Last week, a pastor who oversaw all of Gateway’s campuses departed amid an
undisclosed “moral issue,” becoming the latest in a series of changes for
the church: The cancellation of its annual conference. The departure of
Morris’ successor. The renaming of its Houston campus and an exodus of
worshippers.

At each weekend service, worshippers continue to face reminders of the
scandal, with interim or guest pastors kicking off their sermons saying
“I’m sorry,” talking about grief or finding hope in difficult times.
They’ve noticed people who have sat and prayed around them for years are
once again not showing up for service.

The church has seen a decrease of 17% to 19% in weekend services
attendance, a church spokesperson told CNN.

The turnover at the church could have far-reaching effects. Gateway Church
draws an estimated 100,000 people to its weekend services and has more than
560 employees at nine locations in Texas, and two others in Missouri and
Wyoming, according to the church.

It is considered one of America’s largest megachurches, which are
congregations with an average weekly worship attendance of 2,000 people or
more. There are nearly 1,800 megachurches in the United States, according
to the Hartford Institute for Religion Research.

Morris’ standing as a public figure goes beyond the size of his former
congregation. In 2016, he was part of former President Donald Trump’s
Evangelical Executive Advisory Board, the campaign announced in a news
release at the time. Trump also held a roundtable at Gateway’s Dallas
campus in 2020 and Morris led a prayer before the event.
‘I did not know the truth,’ elder says of Morris’ abuse

The congregation’s “difficult” and “uphill” season – as interim teaching
pastor Max Lucado called it in a sermon last weekend – began in June, when
Cindy Clemishire’s account of abuse was published in The Wartburg Watch, a
church watchdog blog.

Clemishire, 54, told CNN affiliate WFAA Morris molested her in 1982 when
she was 12 years old. It started on Christmas Day and it continued until
she told her parents in 1987, she said.

Shortly after the allegations surfaced, Morris admitted to having
“inappropriate sexual behavior with a young lady” in the 1980s. In its
initial response, Gateway Church said the pastor had been “open and
forthright about a moral failure” that took place when he was in his 20s
and working at another church, and had a two-year “restoration process,”
according to statements obtained by WFAA.

It wasn’t until days later that Morris resigned from his role. In a
statement announcing the resignation, the Board of Elders of Gateway Church
said the group did not have all the facts about Morris’ extramarital
relationship, the victim’s age and length of the abuse.
WFAA.jpg
video

Related video Woman shares Dallas-area pastor allegedly molested her when
she was 12 years old

The board said Morris discussed it many times as something that happened
before founding the congregation, but he did not mention that it was with a
child.

“As an elder, I did not know the truth. And frankly, like so many of you,
my wife and I are shocked, devastated and grieving,” Tra Willbanks, one of
the megachurch’s elders, told the congregation in a June service.

For about 10 minutes, he was tearful as he spoke about Morris’ resignation
from behind a lectern at the center of the stage. “I can’t imagine carrying
a burden like that for so many years and I want to say to you, Cindy. I’m
so sorry,” he added.

Since then, the church said it hired a law firm to “review the report of
past abuse” so it can understand “the facts.” Clemishire alleges at least
one church leader knew about the abuse in 2005, she said in a statement to
CNN.

If there are other victims, Clemishire said she encourages them to speak
up.

“I wholeheartedly and sadly believe I am not the only victim. I encourage
anyone who has been sexually victimized by a leader at Gateway Church to
take the bold step forward and say something. Now is the time. Please know
that you will be supported and will not walk this journey alone,”
Clemishire said in her statement.
Morris’ successor steps down

At least three other pastors have left Gateway Church since Morris’
resignation, unleashing more uncertainty about the future.

Morris’ son James Morris, who was slated to become lead pastor next year,
and his wife Bridgette resigned a month after the scandal. They agreed to
leave their current roles and step down “from leading Gateway in the
future,” the church said in a July 27 statement. He had been asked to take
a leave of absence while the law firm conducted its review.

When the couple addressed the congregation one last time during service,
they held hands after taking the stage to a standing ovation from
worshippers. The young Morris chose to focus his message on the joy and
love he felt at the church, while his wife choked up before talking about
grief.

“The Lord is giving us vision for the future, but we do grieve, grieve (by)
not being here with you,” Bridgette Morris said.

With their departure, the couple chose to allow Gateway “to have a fresh
start,” said Willbanks, who introduced them at the service.

Three current elders who served on the board from 2005 to 2007 were placed
on leave while the law firm’s review is conducted, the church said. The men
are following a recommendation made by the law firm and have said “they had
no knowledge of the true facts of this situation,” according to a June 28
statement by the church.
Congregants at Southlake, Texas, megachurch Gateway sing during worship at
Sunday service on July 28.
Congregants at Southlake, Texas, megachurch Gateway sing during worship at
Sunday service on July 28.
James Hartley/Fort Worth-Star-Telegram/TNS/Getty Images
Another pastor leaves, Houston church cuts ties

Another pastor, Kemtal Glasgow, was dismissed over an unspecified “moral
issue,” the church announced last week. Glasgow’s role was overseeing all
of Gateway’s campuses.

“We were informed last week of a moral issue, which we believe, as elders,
disqualifies him from serving in the role that he had at Gateway,”
Willbanks said in a video statement. “We love his family, we love his wife
and his kids, and we want to come alongside them during this difficult time
and help them find restoration and healing that they need as a family.”

Gateway Church spokesperson Lawrence Swicegood acknowledged the church
asked Glasgow to step down because of his “moral failure,” he told CNN
Wednesday. “To be clear, this decision regarding Kemtal had nothing to with
the departure of Robert Morris nor related to those circumstances.”

Morris’ son-in-law said his church cut ties with Morris earlier this
summer, and he recently announced the rebranding of his congregation from
Gateway Church Houston to Newlands Church.

Senior Pastor Ethan Fisher, who is married to Morris’ daughter Elaine, has
said his church was supported by Gateway since it launched in 2020, but
operates as an “autonomous church, both financially and legally.”

“I believe that during this season, as a church, that God is once again
calling us into something new, and I simply want to follow,” Fisher told
the congregation.
What’s next?

Church members have been torn over whether to continue attending. Lou
Comunale, a longtime church member, told CNN affiliate KTVT he attended a
June? service and has seen that leaders are not “hiding behind the shame.”

“I think it was on target. I think he did not hide behind the shame … that
it brought to the church but we went beyond that and we’re not just looking
to one man, we’re looking to Jesus Christ and this church is going to
thrive because they fessed up,” Comunale said about Willbanks addressing
the congregation.

The week the allegations surfaced, several people held a protest outside
the church while Sunday service was underway. They held signs in support of
Clemishire, carrying messages that read “Justice 4 Cindy,” “She was 12” and
“They Knew.”

For Emily High, the 17 years she spent as a church member came to a halt
because she felt betrayed, she said.

“It’s anger, it’s all the range of emotions,” High told WFAA. “Being a
pedophile, a molester, that’s not OK.”

As the search for a new pastor is underway, the two interim pastors have
been splitting weekend duties. Pastor Joakim Lundqvist, a leader of a
megachurch in Sweden, has shared how his own congregation faced and
overcame several crises. Lucado, an author and church leader in San
Antonio, Texas, encouraged the Gateway community to think about what’s
next.

“I am confident that this season, which is a difficult uphill into the wind
season, will result in a second wind, a new season, a time in which the
church will be better because of it, and stronger on the other side of it,”
Lucado said last weekend.

They hope to help worshippers heal and stay united.
https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/29/us/gateway-church-scandal-texas/index.html
Timmy's Black Weiners
2024-09-17 05:12:04 UTC

By Crime Watch MN, June 11, 2024

A convicted predatory offender who should have been in prison on convictions in at least two cases, including a gun crime, has now been charged in a new sexual assault and carjacking case.

Crime Watch reported on Friday afternoon that police had been dispatched to an address in Uptown Minneapolis on a report of a carjacking at knife point. Later dispatches and information obtained by Crime Watch, indicated that the incident had occurred at Cedar Lake in Minneapolis and that it had also involved a sexual assault.

Eliezer Rodriguez, 31, of north Minneapolis was booked into custody at Hennepin County Jail late Sunday night and has now been charged with felony counts of kidnapping, two counts of first-degree sexual assault while armed, and first-degree armed carjacking. *Rodriguez’s booking lists Hutchinson, MN as his address.

Charges state that the victim told police she had been walking on a trail at Cedar Lake toward her vehicle when she was suddenly attacked and raped at knife point in the woods while the suspect threatened to stab her.

The suspect then walked the victim back to her car and forced her to drive him around. They eventually ended up in a parking ramp where the suspect raped her again. The suspect then forced the victim to drive to McDonalds on East Lake Street.

After leaving McDonalds, the suspect told the victim to drive to the area of 28th and Colfax Ave S, where he pulled out a syringe and told the victim he had one more thing to do. The victim was then able to escape the vehicle and run, when a passerby asked her if she needed help. The victim told the witness that she had been raped and the suspect tried to drug her.

The victim was observed by police to have multiple scratches on her arms, legs, and shoulders.

A State Patrol trooper later found the victim’s vehicle on I-94 between Fergus Falls and Dalton, MN. The Otter Tail County Sheriff’s Office had sent out a shelter-in-place notice overnight/early Saturday to nearby residents as a manhunt took place for the suspect who was eventually located and detained.

The suspect, identified at that time as Rodriguez, was transported for a medical evaluation where he was observed with scratches on his bicep and upper torso that were consistent with defensive wounds. Video was obtained from McDonalds that showed the victim driving her vehicle and showed the passenger with a distinctive rip in his jeans. Video was obtained from a Dalton business that showed the suspect with the same rip near the left knee.

CRIMINAL HISTORY

Rodriguez has a 2016 conviction for kidnapping and aggravated robbery after he forced a woman at gunpoint from her Barnum, Minn., home and forced her to drive him to Pine County. Rodriguez was sentenced to 68 months in prison following the conviction and is required to register as a predatory offender as a result. Under Minnesota law, Rodriguez was only required to serve about 45 months of the 68-month sentence.

However, Rodriguez should have been incarcerated at the time of the alleged rape and carjacking last week following convictions in two separate cases in two counties in 2022.

Rodriguez was convicted in Stearns County in March 2022 for being a felon in possession of a firearm after he was captured fleeing police in the city of Melrose, Minn.

Rodriguez’s 60-month prison sentence was stayed for five years by Judge Andrew R. Pearson, despite Rodriguez’s history as a predatory offender.

Instead, Judge Pearson sentenced Rodriguez to 189 days of time served in a downward departure from sentencing guidelines and he was placed on probation for a term of five years.

Two weeks later, also in March 2022, Rodriquez was convicted in Renville County on a felony count of being a non-compliant predatory offender. His 45-month prison sentence was stayed by Judge Dwayne Knutsen. Rodriquez was instead placed on probation for a term of five years.

Rodriguez is currently being held in Hennepin County Jail on $500,000 bail and is scheduled to make his first court appearance on Wednesday.

https://crimewatchmn.medium.com/predator-who-should-have-been-in-prison-charged-in-minneapolis-rape-carjacking-92ba1efe728d
No Balls Walz
2024-09-18 18:21:52 UTC
A Burnsville man was charged Tuesday with murder in the weekend shooting of a 33-year-old man in Eagan.

Sakaria Osman Ahmed (Courtesy of the Dakota County Sheriff’s Office)

Sakaria Osman Ahmed, 31, was charged in Dakota County District Court with second-degree intentional murder for the death of Faisal A. Abukar of Eagan.

According to the criminal complaint, Eagan police officers responded to the Marathon gas station on Silver Bell Road, just east of the Twin Cities Premiere Outlet Mall shortly before 7 p.m. after a report of a shooting.

Witnesses told police that prior to the shooting, four men, who had arrived in two separate cars, were arguing. In one of the cars was Abukar and his associate, who was driving. In the other car was Ahmed and another man.

Abukar’s car pulled up along side the other and a man exited the other car and attempted to sit in the back seat. An argument ensued.

The unknown man punched Abukar’s associate in the face and threw him to the ground, witnesses told police.

The driver of the other car, later identified as Ahmed, exited the car, pulled out a gun and shot Abukar in the head, according to the complaint.

Abukar’s associate ran off, glancing back to see Ahmed pointing the gun at him, according to the complaint.

According to witnesses and video surveillance, Ahmed and the other man got into their car and drove closer to a Dominoes Pizza that shares a parking lot with the Marathon gas station. The car stayed parked there for a short time, after which it exited the parking lot and crashed within 100 yards of the scene, charges say.

Ahmed ran from the crashed vehicle toward the outlet mall where police quickly apprehended him, according to the complaint. He had a 9mm handgun in his pocket loaded with ammunition matching the casing left at the scene of the crime, charges say. The other man was not found.

Ahmed has two misdemeanor assault charges on his record. Bail was set in the amount of $1.5 million without conditions ($750,000 with conditions) by Dakota County District Court Judge Christopher Lehman. Ahmed’s next court appearance is scheduled for Feb. 16 in Hastings.

https://www.twincities.com/2021/12/21/burnsville-man-charged-with-murder-in-fatal-shooting-of-33-year-old-eagan-man/